One of the first questions you may ask yourself when you're looking to rent a storage unit is, “How much storage do I need?” At U-Store-It-Here, we are here to assist you. Following the tips on this page will help guide you decide how large of a unit you will need. Don't forget, you can always give us a call at either of our locations for more assistance.
Estimating Size by Home Size & Items
|HOME SIZE OR ITEM TO STORE||UNIT SIZE|
|1 Bedroom Apartment||10'x10'|
|3 Bedroom Home or Car||12'x24'|
|4 Bedroom Home, Boat, Trailer||12'x30'|
|Large Motor Home||12'x48' Drive-Thru|
Quick Tips for Efficient Storage
- You can use the space inside of drawers and larger appliances to store smaller items. This will help you on space. Don't forget to label what is inside them!
- Larger items like bed frames or tables can be taken apart to save on space. Be sure to keep the parts, screws, and other smaller items together and tape them to the item.
- To prevent scratching, wrap the legs of your furniture in bubble wrap or use a furniture cover or pads.
- Label boxes on all sides for easy identification.
- Fragile boxes should always go on top of heavier, less delicate boxes.
- Avoid over packing boxes. They can get too heavy and become dangerous.
- Items that you will come back to in your storage unit the most should be placed closer to the front.
- Prevent dust and other unwanted particles from getting into your boxes by sealing them tightly with packing tape.
- Use moving pads or furniture covers to keep items off the floor of the unit.
- For easier access to items in the back, leave a walkway down the center of your storage unit.
- Flammable items, such as paint or other chemicals, as well as items that are perishable do not belong in storage units.
- When storing motor equipment, such as lawnmowers or snow blowers for example, be sure to drain all the fluids from them as they are combustible and hazardous.